One of the most important questions you can ask yourself is who am I? As you were reading the sentence, did you actually think about it? Did you have an answer right away or did you defer to a memory of what someone else said about you? Things like, my friends say I am funny or my mother says I am sweet. Going back to those thoughts happens more often times than not because so many people really don’t know what or how to think about themselves.
When we don’t know what to think about ourselves, we tend to depend on other people to tell us who we are. This causes a significant problem in our lives. Anytime you need something that comes from someone else, you are at their mercy. If they don’t give you what you need , such as an identity, you end up in a tremendous amount of confusion or pain. You will end up trying to be someone you’re not. Your actions and behaviors will be based on someone else’s opinion of you and not your own.
Knowing who you are is very important in order to make it in life. People will speak or think negative things about you for no reason at all. People form opinions about you such as you are mean, unloved, dumb and any other cruel thing they can think of because they may be feeling that way about themselves. Just because it’s said about you, does not mean you have to identify with it. What you think about yourself is what matters. If you don’t know what to think about yourself start thinking about who you want to be. I am so glad I started telling my son positive affirmations when he was just a boy. I told him he came from kings and queens. I told him he was strong and a good person. I also told him he was smart and powerful. I made sure he knew he was loved and I was proud of him. Whether or not he listened was not important, as long as I affirmed great things to him was all that mattered. Know who you are and your self worth because if you don’t someone else will tell you. I want to share some affirmations I say to myself as often as I can to help me along the way. Feel free to use them for yourself.
- I’m looking forward to seeing what’s coming today
- There will be some times today when I smile.
- I am a powerful person.
- I’m glad that I still have time in this life to do the things I want to do.
- I am superior to negative thoughts and low actions.
- My efforts are being supported by God; my dreams manifest into reality before my eyes.
- Though these times are difficult, they are only a short phase of life.
- I am blessed with an incredible family and wonderful friends.
- I am conquering my illness; I am defeating it steadily each day.
- Everything that is happening now is happening for my ultimate good.
3 thoughts on “Who Do You Think You Are?”
i’m a counselor too – lets be friends 😀